Trixie

Trixie
I love riding my VESPA

Apr 22, 2014

God's Not Dead

On Good Friday, I was with my sister and niece at the movies watching God’s Not Dead. It was a bit of a juxtapose considering that Good Friday is the remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. I did not know much about it going in, so I was pleasantly surprised.God's Not Dead

A college freshman is challenged by his philosophy professor to write on a piece of paper that God is Dead, and sign his name. Everyone else is the class does, but he holds to his conviction as a Christian, he cannot do this. He gets a variety of advice, from just sign the paper, its only a piece of paper,  to drop the class, but almost no one encourages him to accept the challenge. The local pastor asks him how many students are in the class and does he think they will ever set foot in a church.  Maybe this is there time to hear.

Josh (the student) takes the challenge and has 3 - 20 minutes sessions in class to convince his classmates that God’s not dead. He is putting all kinds of time and effort into this as well as prayer time  to the detriment of his other classes.

Based on the title you can probably see where the movie is going, somewhat predictable with a few twists to keep it interesting. However, I would recommend you go and see it for yourself. Support faith based films, so we can see more of them.

It got me thinking about my life and ministry. One of the things I learned as a missionary it that there is no separation between life and being a Christian. God brings me opportunities, that allow me to rise to the occasion and live out my faith. Some of you might think well that's great you are a missionary, isn’t it your job?

Yes and no, we are all called to be missionaries, to share the gospel with the lost world around us. The test lies in my day to day life; is it different so as to create the opening or moment where that conversation can begin or continue.

I thought about this idea all weekend, as I went to Good Friday service and then Easter service, and ultimately to the park with my extended family, which is our tradition. One of the things I realized is that I have a harder time stepping up to meet the opportunity here in the US, then when I lived in Cambodia.

Just Sunday at the park, I missed the opportunity to lead my family in prayer over the food and the day. I just wanted to sit back and enjoy the day, good food, interaction with family members. Even though I prayed for my own food, I missed a huge opening. I’m not perfect, actually far from it, but I do know one thing for sure.

God’s Not Dead.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe that's the purpose of even short-term mission - to be bolder about discussing Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, I think so - it is challenging to be bolder and put yourself out there to be talked about.

    ReplyDelete