Trixie

Trixie
I love riding my VESPA

Apr 9, 2014

7 An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

[caption id="attachment_196" align="alignright" width="150"]An experimental mutiny against excess An experimental mutiny against excess[/caption]

I am in week 6 of this study, which is a total of 9 weeks, There is an intro and 7 weeks of varying fasts and a wrap up. I have been going through this study with my mom & dad and a very dear friend.  We meet on Thursday mornings for about two hours to discuss the study and then just discuss life in general.  I was most interested in this study, but it has gone far beyond what I expected.

Week 1 was a fast from food.  For all of you thinking I could not possibly fast from food for a week, you could do this.  There were a few options but I chose to limit myself to 7 food items, which were; chicken, eggs, rice, apples, broccoli, cauliflower and yogurt.  The week flew by, I did go out to eat, once at panda express and once to el pollo loco, it was much easier than I thought and with limited choices it was easier to shop and prepare food.

Week 2 was clothing.  Yes, limiting my clothing to 7 items.  I had to modify a bit.  I was speaking at church that week, and going to a play so I used the same outfit.  I have my workout clothes and that was an outfit, because I am working out 4 times a week, and then I chose, 1 pr of capris jeans, yoga pants, a t-shirt, short sleeved sweater and a jacket - yep I rode Trixie my vespa and I need a jacket for that.  Again easier than I thought but required a bit more planning and time with the washer, but since all the items mixed and matched it was 1 load of laundry.

Week 3 - stuff.  I got rid of 7 items a day.  However the goal was to try and give them to someone who could use them.  Not that the goodwill is not a choice, but to be more relational in pairing down and assisting someone who needs help.  I collected some clothing for a person who got a new job and did not have the appropriate clothing.  Then cleared through some of my other things, I have had for quite some time in storage in my attic. It felt good and I have continued to give things away.

Week 4 - Media - I did not find it really difficult to disconnect my screens for a week.  I already take a sabbath rest from the computer.  I spent time writing and reading actual paper books, imagine that.

Right now we are winding up week 5 which is waste - This week, we have been challenged to look at the amount of waste we create, and make some choices that are better for creation care.  You know those reusable bags, that have been in my trunk, well they moved into the car and were used or I did not take a bag.  I have long loved shopping at Thrift stores, and just today I purchased a new shirt and capris, and since I am using the 1 in 1 out rule, I will be getting rid of 2 items in my closet.

7 ListWe have two weeks to go, which will be spending and stress, I am looking forward to them.  But I wanted to share what I have learned up to this point.

Have you ever watch one of those decorating shows on HGTV?  If you have they always take all the furniture and items out of the room and then decide what to put back in.  Well this experiment has been like that.  Each week as I have undertaken the fast, it frees me to make the choice what to put back in my life, a positive choice, verses removing things from my life which seems negative like I am restricting myself.

This new perspective has been refreshing and invigorating as I am making choices about how I want to live my life.  I am choosing to eat healthier, spend less, give more, develop a capsule wardrobe, and drink more water.  I think I was on autopilot for so long that I did not take the time to really look at my life and make the choices, instead it took a mutiny to challenge me to change.

I hope that you are at a place in your life where you are making the choices to live an abundant life.  Jesus said, “I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”  Are you?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this book & experiment.

    A little easier to do with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great detail in your blog. It is inspiring to try something and see how it revolutionizes your life. Kudos for doing it!

    ReplyDelete