Trixie

Trixie
I love riding my VESPA

Aug 2, 2013

Time does it Fly or Walk?

Time - Does it Fly or WalkTime

I was asked the other day what I like most about living in Cambodia.  The answer is quick and easy, the pace of life.  The question asker looked at me a bit puzzled so I started to explain.

In America we talk about time flying by, but in Cambodia they talk about how time walks.  She was still a bit perplexed. I continued, it is a matter of worldview.  In America time is money, which makes it so very valuable to us.  In Cambodia time is plentiful but people are important. So, their day to day, moment to moment choices are different.  Often I want to think that it is wrong, but when I embraced the saying it is not wrong just different, I opened myself up to chance to join in and try something different.

Appointments get pushed off if you are with someone right now.  Whatever you are doing right now is more important than the next thing.  You will deal with the next thing next.  I will freely admit that in the beginning this idea nearly drove me mad.  It always seemed like I was the one waiting around.  When my Cambodian friends would show up and I was annoyed they would look at me with that “What?” expression, not even a shoulder shrug, with no concern that they might be 30 minutes or more late for something.

It took a couple of years for me to ease into this mind set.  I will honestly admit, it was a difficult transition, but one that I am happy I made. I live a much slower life focused on people and relationship rather then the almighty day planner.  Freedom is what I have found. The freedom to choose this moment, not be so focused on the next that I miss this one.  Freedom to pursue relationships, by having an hour and a half lunch.

The main difference I see is in the approach to the day.  I schedule things for the day, but I limit them to 2 or 3 things, not something for each hour slot.  The day flows, I accomplish my main tasks most of the time, but I spend time on the things that really matter people, me included.

One of the first things I noticed when I came to Cambodia is that the crescent moon is on the bottom, where in Southern California it is on the side.  It is a visual reminder to me that Cambodians see the world differently than I do.

I have come closer to their way of thinking, but my Americanness continues to win out sometimes.  Especially, when it comes to consumerism.  I have that urge to buy the newest, biggest & brightest thing.  Where Cambodians are reuse, make do or do with out types.

Again they have been the teachers and I the student.  Pace of life is part of what makes it good, simple and easy.  I have always said that life is a daily adventure and living overseas, has made it better and challenged my worldview.  I believe I now have the best of both viewpoints.

How has your worldview been challenged recently?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I still struggle with the pace of life here in the US, particularly So Cal. I must admit I'm still very typical in my feelings about being late for an appointment or having someone else be late to meet with me, but my definition of "late" has eased up considerably. The one phrase of Khmer that I remember is "dah ling" (although I'm pretty sure I'm not spelling it correctly) and I love the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually spelled it as correctly as any of us. I like the idea of taking a stroll. It implies leisure and a chance to look at things around you, no rush or hurry

    ReplyDelete