Trixie

Trixie
I love riding my VESPA

Oct 2, 2013

Trip to Preah Vihear Temple

[caption id="attachment_144" align="aligncenter" width="762"]Spectacular view Spectacular view[/caption]

I have lived in Cambodia a long time, but I was working, so traveling around the country was not a high priority.  I drove around a lot in the middle years doing ministry.  So, for vacation I wanted to get out of Cambodia and enjoy a nice Thai beach or head into Bangkok where there were movie theaters and fast food.

I once tried to vacation in Kompong Som (Sihanoukville) but when you speak the language it is a lot harder to ignore the beggars and pushy little kids selling things.  So, I always figured there was more time to go and see some of the sites of Cambodia.

So, here I am 13 years later and my list is quite long of things I want to see in Cambodia.  Admittedly I will probably not get it all done, but am making a valiant effort.  On the other hand it gives me something to look forward to upon my return.

A rather long intro to explain what put me in the taxi for the 3.5 hour trip to Preah Vihear.   I was picked up by a rather nice taxi guy, who was explaining to me that when we arrive, I would have to rent a moto or a 4x4 truck, to get me to the actual temple.  That they do not allow his Camry to go up the mountain.

[caption id="attachment_145" align="alignright" width="191"]2nd Level Temple 2nd Level Temple[/caption]

A side note on language; Phnom as in Phnom Penh means mountain.  If you have ever been to Phnom Penh, you know it is an exceptionally flat city.  So, I am always a bit hesitant when a Cambodian calls something a mountain – usually they are referring to a small hill.  There is one mountain range in Cambodia running down the western side of the country all the way to the coast, called the Cardamom Mountains.  They truly are mountains.

So, I was taking, a I will wait and see approach to making a decision about this.  But as we got closer, he pointed out the mountain, and it truly was a mountain that was rather steep, I could tell by the switchbacks in the road.  Needless to say I opted for the truck.

[caption id="attachment_147" align="alignleft" width="186"]Selfie - I am getting better at it - note the sneer Selfie - I am getting better at it - note the sneer[/caption]

As I was walking to the window to pay, all of the truck and moto drivers were talking about me.  When I got close enough, I said, “I speak Khmer.”  To my right was the taxi driver nodding in agreement.  I love doing this because they get so embarrassed, because they know that they were not saying things they would have wanted me to overhear.

The truck ride was rather short but steep.  We arrived at the parking area, where there were places to g

et food, and a huge group of soldiers playing volleyball.  Most of the soldiers have been moved to Phnom Penh to assist during the political rallies.

[caption id="attachment_149" align="alignright" width="150"]Thai Border & Walkway Thai Border & Walkway[/caption]

I had to walk up a wet rocky surface to get to the actual temple.  Which consists of 4 temple sections, connected by 7 walkways of approximately 200 meters each.  The taxi driver, who was still with me pointed out the border of Thailand.

My first thought was, “why are they fighting over this.  It is in the middle of nowhere and although the views are spectacular, it is clearly in Cambodia, attested to by its Unesco World Heritage Site status.

[caption id="attachment_150" align="alignleft" width="150"]This is the view from the front seat This is the view from the front seat[/caption]

I was the only foreigner there that day, luckily I finished my wanderings, grabbed some rice and pork for lunch and we were down the mountain when the rain started.  I would not have wanted to make the drive in that rain.  There was one point in the truck where it felt like we were looking straight down.

Pictures did not do it justice.  There are only 2 Unesco World Heritage Sites in Cambodia – the Preah Vihear Temple and Angkor Wat, so check I have those covered.  Stay tuned for further travels and musings.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting! Love the pictures! So glad you're getting to see more of the country before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Sounds like you're got some excellent walking in while there too. Super notes not only only place and people, but this particular spot in time.

    ReplyDelete