Trixie

Trixie
I love riding my VESPA

Sep 12, 2013

Not Wrong Just Different

Recently, I hired a new house helper, after having the last one for nearly 3 years.  It has taken some training and getting used to each other as we find a routine for the days she is here.

[caption id="attachment_131" align="alignright" width="266"]I know what you are thinking it is just different I know what you are thinking it is just different[/caption]

Not too long ago I bought a couple of rugs like this.

After the first day of Serey working, I came home and found all three of the rugs like this.  I know that I have been living here for quite some time because I just laughed and turned them around.

I also knew what she was thinking.  You need the bigger part of the rug to wipe your feet so why would you put that next to the wall where it is hard to use.  Which she confirmed when I asked her.  Actually she was probably thinking foreigners, doesn’t she know that rugs are rectangular?

Today September 12th marks my 13th year anniversary of being in Cambodia.   If I have learned anything in that time, it is the phrase, “It’s not wrong, just different.”

Being an American it has been a difficult lesson to learn, because I was raised with self-confidence and a work ethic that there is right and wrong.  Yes, there is right and wrong when it comes to morals, laws, etc..   But how the rug is placed on the floor; does it really matter?  Are looks more important than function?

Moving to a new country requires the mindset of a learner.  Things are done here the way my mom taught me.  I have had to be taught and trained like a small child.  If I am not fully vested in the process then, it falls apart really quickly.

It made me think of new Christians.  They come to church so eager and excited, and those of us who have been at this Christian thing for quite some time, can be the biggest killjoys.  They are trying to absorb, learn and grow, when we often want to set them straight.  Why not teach and train them?  They could be the next Billy Graham.

I have to check myself after this many years; I have to remind myself that I still have lots to learn about Cambodia, its culture and people.  I have just as much to learn about Jesus, and how to be in this world and not of this world.

Things around me are not wrong just different, and I need a learner’s attitude to ask the questions and engage the culture so I can function and flourish.  That does not make me a native, but and interested sojourner in this place at this time.

It teaches me lessons; I get to take with me on the journey.  Missions is not a destination it is a journey.

When was the last time you approached something from the attitude of a learner?  Was the result different than when you are sure you know it all?

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice message Michelle. I Have Been Here Such A Short Time I Get To Be In Learner Mode For A While More I Think With Out Much Effort...
    I Also Hear "Same But Different" Often. Certainly A New Place To Learn Like A Child.
    Blessings, Bill

    ReplyDelete